School Incursions Healthy Eating
Kinder | Primary | Secondary
School Healthy Eating Incursions about The Australian Dietary Guidelines & Health
Enhance your pupils’ knowledge of food, healthy eating, food groups and well-being with our hands-on interactive Melbourne school incursions and workshops. Since 2012 we have taught 25,000 pupils in Victoria run by our team of passionate nutrition & dietetic educators.
Our school incursions are based on The Australian guide to healthy eating model, food groups, key nutrients but also exciting research showing that food has a large impact on how we feel and our well-being and how to make healthier ‘smart swaps’ to our food & drink choices. For prep & years 1 and 2 we use a superhero character theme, which has led to a higher pupil uptake and acceptance of vegetables.
Both our face-to-face and online school incursions use a 50% teaching, 50% activity-based approach to classroom education including age-appropriate: quizzes, worksheets, anatomy models & felt, games, case studies, food tasting, and seed growing that excite all learning styles and interests. In addition, we also offer sustainable red tip eco-bananas to all students when available.
For all high school incursions, we present to whole-year groups in a seminar format, please click here for more information.
From 2021 we will be using a COVID safe plan when working in Victorian schools.
Pupils & Parents
SCHOOL INCURSION OPTIONS
SNACK ART INCURSIONS
Superhero Snack Art (1 hour): This creative session is packed with nutrition visuals & fun. We explore our Superhero character who has lost her powers due to not looking after her lifestyle. Based on research we expose school children to a variety of fruit & vegetables in an informal, safe environment, this method has been shown to increase vegetable acceptance by children.
The kids have a great time during this healthy eating incursion and so do our nutritionists running them!
- Suitable for kindergarten and prep years
- How food makes us feel and general wellbeing
- How food helps our muscles, bones, skin and teeth
- Create an edible work of art & a superhero mask
- Taste test foods using all 5 senses
- Curriculum focused to cover health and physical education topics.
- Includes take-home leaflet & activity sheet for parents to reinforce messages.
2 FRUIT 5 VEG INCURSIONS
Our Super 2 Fruit 5 Veg School Incursion (1 hour) reinforces the benefits of eating fruit and veg every day and well-being. We explore how our Superhero character can regain her powers after leading an unhealthy lifestyle. School children are exposed to a safe environment to try new fruits and vegetables and explore how food influences our health and well-being.
- Designed for school years 1 and 2.
- How food makes us feel good, helps our body to grow and stay healthy.
- Government recommendations of fruit and veg intake and portion sizes.
- Worksheets about key nutrients: protein, carbohydrates, fibre and healthy fats.
- Benefits of “eating a rainbow” of vegetables & fruits.
- How to add vegetables to lunchboxes and grow them at home.
- Taste test new and colourful foods using our senses & make a superhero mask.
- Curriculum focused to cover health and physical education topics.
- Includes a take-home leaflet for parents to reinforce messages at home.
HEALTHY HUMANS INCURSIONS
Humans School Incursions (1 hour): taught using introduction visuals & display for the Australian guide to healthy eating and anatomy guides. Using felt models for muscles, bones and the digestive system we connect how nutrients improve our health and well-being. As a group, we explore key food groups and how to incorporate them into our lunchboxes and other meals. Pupils are encouraged to set personal healthy eating goals to achieve.
- Created for years 3 and 4
- How food influences our body systems and reduces the risk of diseases.
- Anatomy & digestion felt visuals and nutrient connections.
- Food labeling education and tasks.
- Food tasting new fruit and vegetables.
- The curriculum focused to cover health and physical education topics.
- Includes take-home info for parents to reinforce messages at home.
HEALTHY HABITS INCURSIONS
Healthy Habits School Incursion (1 hour): taught using an interactive model for the Australian guide to healthy eating & anatomy models. We advance pupils’ knowledge about nutrition and its connections to our key organs bones, muscles, and digestive system, and how nutrients such as omega-3 improve our cell’s functions. Pupils explore what type 2 diabetes is and how following a healthy lifestyle can prevent future risk factors.
- Suitable for years 5 and 6.
- How food influences our body systems and influences long-term health.
- Focusing on key nutrients (omega-3, iron, fibre, etc), exercise, sleep, and well-being themes.
- Exploring type 2 diabetes, heart disease and food connections.
- Food labeling activities and advertisement awareness.
- Curriculum focused on health and physical activity topics.
- Includes take-home info for parents to reinforce messages.
GROWING NUTRITION INCURSIONS
Growing Nutrition School Incursion (1 hour): educates pupils about where different fruit and veg grow and which seasons to harvest the produce. We also plant veggie seeds in pots or in the school’s veggie garden.
- Designed for kindergarten and all primary school years
- Students plant their own seed in a mini pot to take home
- Learn about where and how food grows
- Recycling and composting
- Planting and growing food
- Curriculum focused to cover science, social learning, sustainability, and health topics.
Follow-up option (optional): cooking demonstration using produce grown by the class.
ORAL HEALTH SCHOOL INCURSIONS
- Kinder and Pre-school/ELC – Prep/Foundation – for other school years options click here
The Health Smiles oral health school incursions (1hour) introduces children to what their teeth do, the anatomy and how to look after them by cleaning and choosing tooth friendly drinks and foods.
- Pupils become familiar with how their teeth function and move
- Pupils become familiar with how our dietary habits influence our dental health
- Pupils learn about how calcium influences our teeth and bones
- Pupils will be able to try a teeth healthy smoothie recipe
- Curriculum focused to cover science, social learning and health topics
For all our secondary school workshops please click here
- Nutrition foundations for teens
- Brain food & gut health.
- Sports Nutrition for teens.
- Cook4health cooking course
HEALTHY FOOD WORKSHOP – for Parents
Our healthy eating school incursions are a great way to empower children to make healthy changes in their diet. However, parents are the biggest driver of healthy habits at home and school packed lunches. Our parent’s nutrition information workshop is designed by Dietetic parents for school parents to learn about how food influences our children’s muscles, bones, brain development, balance mood levels and enable sustainable energy throughout the day. The topics we cover are:
- What is a healthy breakfast
- Healthy lunchbox ideas and snacks.
- Food mood and improving children’s learning capacity.
- Food and physical activity.
- Junk food advertising and their risks.
- Sugar, fat and salt and your child’s health.
- How to read a food label (including parent shopping cards).
- Recipes and leaflets handed out.
CREATE & COOK SCHOOL INCURSIONS
MUFFIN PIZZA FACES WORKSHOP
MUFFIN PIZZA FACES (1 hour) – this incursion we set up because it is so much fun and we love to see how creative the pupils get with making their muffin pizzas. Recipes are sent home to the parents to reinforce the benefits of the workshop.
- Suitable for all school years
- Each pupils can create a healthy muffin pizza face during the session.
- We talk to pupils about the benefits of cooking from home
- There is a big focus on eating fruit and veg with puzzle games to complete
- We talk about the ingredients | Foods groups and balanced eating.
- Children draw what they eat every day to reinforce healthy eating principles.
- The pizzas can be cooked onsite or wrapped up and taken home to parents.
The FACTS that motivate us
In Australia 95% of children and young people aged 2-18 years are struggling to achieve the recommended daily intake of 2 fruit and 5 veg. Low fruit and veg intake can cause a range of health issues such as weight management problems, type 2 diabetes and can lead to unhealthy habits as an adult. Our school incursions and workshops aim to prevent this from happening from an early age. Our evaluation data shows promising results in children’s behavior change based around healthy eating when followed up after their school incursions.
QUOTES FROM TEACHERS
“The children had a wonderful time during your healthy food incursions and definitely learnt something new about eating well. It’s always difficult trying to think of ways to educate the youngest members of our school so that the information delivered is relevant and effective but you managed to do a great job and make it fun at the same time”.
– Year 6 teacher – Wesley College, Melbourne
“We thank you for your professionalism and positive approach to each session. It was such a pleasure to have you at our school. I would not hesitate to recommend Daley Nutrition”.
– Teacher – Oakleigh Grammar School
“It was an absolute delight having Luke here. We received fantastic feedback and the kids really enjoyed the healthy eating incursions”. See you again next year!
Team leader – Hepburn Shire CouncilSave
School Incursion Professionals
Daley Nutrition employ engaging staff that are full of energy for school incursions and have:
University qualification in Nutrition or Dietetics
Working with Children’s check
Years of experience teaching children
Public liability and indemnity insurance
First aid certificate
Recognised by the Health Industry
Daley Nutrition are well respected and have worked with a range of health organisations in the last year such as:
The Department of Heath & Human Services
Dianella Community Health
JAMIE OLIVER QUOTE
“We’ve got to start teaching
our kids about food in schools.
Jamie Oliver – TED talk 2006 click here to view