Healthy Cajan Chicken Pizza
A tasty high fibre pizza recipe, by Nutritionists from Daley Nutrition
Healthy Cajan Chicken Recipe
This recipe is one of a few quick and easy meals in our recipe bank. We have a brilliant local butchers that supplies us with local chicken breast that we include in our chicken dishes. Chicken breast works best for pizza as it is easy to chop up and is the leanest part of the meat. In our household we use different herbs and spices for different pizza recipes, our favorite is cajan which adds a lot of flavour!
Is Cajan spice good for you?
Yes…..the traditional cajan spice mix includes garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme and red chili flakes. The cajan spices you get in the supermarkets are a little different as they tend to add a lot of sodium (salt) to them which can add to risk factors of increasing your blood pressure. However there is a brand we use in this cajan chicken pizza is made by Hoys’ (bought from Woolworths supermarket), which has salt as one of it’s last ingredients meaning the salt content is not high. If salt is in the first 3 ingredient on the back of the spice pack then it is a high salt product and best to be avoided.
Are Pizzas good for you?
Yes and No. Pizza’s can be a very heavy meal, especially if you go to a fast food pizza chain. These food chain pizzas tend to have big pizza bases, greasy processed meats and a tonne of cheese on top. Our cajan chicken pizza recipe is a lot healthier and includes a lot less calories than a takeaway option and can be included as part of a healthy balanced diet.
Ingredients (serves 1-2 people)
- 1 wholemeal wrap as the base (goodness superfoods do a high fibre barely wrap)
- 2 tbsps of tomato puree mixed with 1 tsps of cajan spice (base)
- 100g of chicken breast strips
- 1 small chopped red onion
- 1 medium capsicum (peppers)
- 3 tsps of cajan spice (low sodium)
- 30g of low fat mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 handful of rocket leaves
- On a pizza tray add greaseproof paper and place the wrap in the middle.
- Spread the tomato puree over the base to cover the majority of the area.
- Chop up the veg and scatter evenly across the pizza
- Cut up the chicken into strips and sprinkle the cajan spice on the chicken
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over the pizza.
- Cook for 20mins in the oven at 170 degrees or until chicken cooked though.
- Serve with rocket on top and yogurt as a dip.
Cajan Chicken Pizza Nutrition Information
- 8g of fat
- 28g of protein
- 4g of fibre
- 1 x serving of vegetables
- 1 serving of grains
- 1 x serving of dairy
Cajan Chicken Pizza
Posted by Luke Daley, Registered Nutritionist, Msc, BSc (Hons)
Director and Founder of Daley Nutrition
A little about us….
Daley Nutrition is a community nutrition team based in Melbourne Victoria, we run a range of nutrition based programs such as corporate wellness programs and cooking demonstrations in Australia to raise people’s awareness of what they are eating and empower them to change certain eating habits. We work with not for profit organisations such as local councils, Diabetes Australia & Nutrition Australia to create a healthy eating environment for children and adults.