Healthy Mexican Nachos
A tasty healthy spin on a Mexican classic, by Nutritionists from Daley Nutrition
This healthy mexican nachos recipe is quick easy and a great addition to a footy night or girls party in. The ingredients are mainly from whole foods and the recipe contains less sugar, fat and salt than your traditional recipe from a takeaway outlet.
Ingredients (serves 5-6 people)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 500g of beef mince
- 1 can of 400g no added salt kidney beans
- 2 grated carrots
- 1 grated zucchini
- 1 small tin of sweet corn
- 1 tin of tomatoes (no added salt)
- 1 tbsp of tomato sauce
- 1 tbs of lime rind
- 2 tbs paprika
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 2 tsps ground coriander
- 1/2 tbs chilli flakes, optional
When serving add:
- 1 Handful of fresh coriander
- 1 handful of cos lettuce (chopped up)
- 1 handful of chopped cherry tomatoes
- 6 dollops of plain yogurt
- 1 avocado chopped up
- 1/2 cup of low fat grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan-forced). Lightly spray 2 baking trays with olive oil. Then cut tortillas into triangles and cook for 5-6 minutes or until brown (it might help to set a timer).
- Whilst the tortillas are cooking, heat a plan with extra virgin olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and kidney beans to the pan.
- When the kidney beans start to go crispy, add the mince meat and herbs and spices to the pan and cook until slightly brown.
- Then add the grated veg and sweetcorn and cook until soft. Then add the tinned tomatoes, and a tablespoon of tomato sauce.
- Wait for the sauce to thicken
- Meanwhile, combine avocado, cherry tomatos, coriander and lettuce in a small bowl.
- Arrange the tortillas on a heat proof serving plate, then add the mince meat and sauce onto the tortillas and grill for 2mins.
- Then add the yogurt, avocado mixture and cheese to the top before serving.
Healthy Mexican Nachos Nutrition (per person)
- Nutrition information coming soon
Healthy Mexican Nachos
Posted by Nutritionists from Daley Nutrition RNutr, Msc, BSc (Hons)
A little about us….Daley Nutrition is a community nutrition team based in Melbourne Victoria, we run a range of nutrition based programs such as corporate wellness programs and cooking demonstrations in Australia to raise people’s awareness of what they are eating and empower them to change certain eating habits. We work with not for profit organisations such as local councils, Diabetes Australia & Nutrition Australia to create a healthy eating environment for children and adults.
To find out more about our Nutrition Services below images[/fusion_text][/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]